Halloween pet safety.

Halloween is traditionally a holiday filled with candy, sweets, and goodies. When celebrating, it is easy to want to include your pet in the festivities. With Wheaton Animal Hospital’s Halloween pet safety tips, you and your pet can make the most of the spooky season.

Make sure to steer clear of these Halloween treat dangers:

Chocolate

Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to pets. Different types of chocolates contain different amounts of this compound. The most dangerous variety of chocolate is baking chocolate, followed by semi-sweet, dark, then milk chocolate. Flavored baked goods are usually lowest in theobromine concentration. At lower doses, theobromine can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and hyperactivity. At high doses, it can lead to tremors, seizures, and an irregular heartbeat, which can lead to death.

Xylitol

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is becoming more and more commonly found in candies, gums, and baked goods. When animals ingest this compound, it causes a rapid drop in blood sugar that can be fatal without treatment.

Alcohol

While most people would never intentionally share their punch with their pet, unattended glasses may be tempting for some curious critters. Pay attention when alcohol is around during Halloween celebrations.

Raisins and Grapes

Raisins and grapes can cause sudden kidney failure in some dogs. While not all dogs will be affected, it is impossible to know if your pooch will be one of the unlucky ones. Keep those boxes of raisins and peeled grape eyeballs out of your dog’s reach.

In general, it is safest not to share your Halloween goodies with your pets. Be sure to help children put their candy away and let them know how dangerous it is to offer your family pets part of their Halloween spoils. Likewise, discourage them from stashing their candy in hiding places that a keen nose might find. Halloween is a fun time of year. Please pay attention to Halloween pet safety to keep your furry friends safe during this festive time of year.